Kopsiro community is situated on the slopes of Mount Elgon in Bungoma County, close to the border with Uganda.The target community in Kopsiro comprises of the ethnic groups; the Sabaots, Luhyas and Teso’s. Most of the locals are self-employed. They depend largely on agriculture and practice subsistence farming.
- Retrogressive political leadership that fuels strife, anarchy and intercommunity hatred
- Youth involved in delinquency
- Proliferation of small arms
- Crimes like malicious damage of property, land disputes, incest and girl child defilement
Partners in Kopsiro:
local CBOs, Religious institutions, business and education sectors, the police and informal security bodies
- Ensuring community participation in the on-going national reform process
- Building trust between police and public
- Enhanced accountability and transparency from the police to the community
- Involvement in the development of budgetary request for security at the local and national government level
- Creating awareness on crime and violence prevention initiatives, the Community Based Policing policy and the role of the County Policing Authority.