Kopsiro community is situated on the slopes of Mount Elgon in Bungoma County, close to the border with Uganda.The target community in Kopsiro comprises of the ethnic groups; the Sabaots, Luhyas and Teso’s. Most of the locals are self-employed. They depend largely on agriculture and practice subsistence farming.
Main security challenges:
- Retrogressive political leadership that fuels strife, anarchy and intercommunity hatred
- Youth involved in delinquency
- Proliferation of small arms
- Crimes like malicious damage of property, land disputes, incest and girl child defilement
- Ensuring community participation in the on-going national reform process
- Building trust between police and public
- Enhanced accountability and transparency from the police to the community
- Involvement in the development of budgetary request for security at the local and national government level
- Creating awareness on crime and violence prevention initiatives, the Community Based Policing policy and the role of the County Policing Authority.
PARTNERS IN BARAGOI
local CBOs, Religious institutions, business and education sectors, the police and informal security bodies