Mtwapa town is one of the earliest settlements in the coastal region of Kenya, in Kilifi County. It is located between Mombasa and Malindi and has an approximate population of 60,000 and is highly cosmopolitan. Until recently, it had exclusively been settled by the Swahili, the Chonyi and Jibana communities, who mainly practiced agriculture.
Main security challenges:
- poor relationship between the community and the police
- rise in presence of outlawed groups like the Mombasa Republican Council (MRC)
- Early initiation of underage girls into risky sexual behaviour
- sexual and gender based violence, including defilement
- Youth violence
- Drugs and substance abuse
Establishment of community policing and improved public and police interaction
PARTNERS IN mtwapa
Matatu and the Boda Boda sector, Bar maids, Police, Mama Mboga units and the local Security Agencies.